- The Masters’ and Past Masters’ Lodge No 130
- The Crown Lodge No 138
- The Avon Shirley Lodge No 185
- Lodge Doric Brighton No 236
- United Forces Lodge No 245
- Lodge Takahe No 397
- Pegasus Daylight Lodge No 450
Freemasonry has had a strong presence in New Zealand since at least 1842. The early Lodges were formed under the United Grand Lodge of England, the Grand Lodge of Ireland, and the Grand Lodge of Scotland. In 1890, the Grand Lodge of New Zealand was formed, and Lodges created since then have been under its jurisdiction.
There are 20 Lodges that meet in the Canterbury District, with 10 Lodges meeting at the Canterbury Freemasons Centre. The remaining Lodges meet in various locations, including 2 in Ferrymead, 2 at the Riccarton, 2 in Lincoln, 2 in Amberley, and 1 each in Woolston and Akaroa.
In 1916 the Freemasons Masonic Hall located in Gloucester Street was the home for many Lodges, with others meeting in suburban Lodge buildings spread throughout the city and suburbs. In 1993 the Gloucester Street building was sold, and a new home purchased in Latimer Square. This building was occupied until 2002.
After the Latimer Square was sold, Lodges met in the suburban Freemasons buildings. It was through the vision of V W Bro Martin Biss that a proposal was first considered to build a fit-for-purpose Freemasons Centre on the site of the Shirley Masonic Hall in Shirley Road. Although plans were prepared and consents obtained, a commitment to occupy by sufficient Lodges to make it financially viable was difficult to achieve. Nevertheless, Lodge Shirley No 263 decided to proceed with the building development, and the last Lodge meeting in the old building was held on 2 December 2010.
The series of devastating earthquakes which began in 2010 changed the face of Freemasonry in Canterbury, as Lodge rooms in Wordsworth Street, Idris Road, Rangiora, Kaiapoi and Lyttleton were substantially damaged, with buildings in other suburbs also suffering some damage. This then became the catalyst for several Lodges to become shareholders in the new Shirley Freemasons Centre.
The Shirley Freemasons Centre was opened by the Grand Master, Most Worshipful Brother Selwyn Cooper on 11 May 2013.
To better reflect Freemasonry in Canterbury, the name was changed to the Canterbury Freemasons Centre. In 2024, the shareholding balance for the Centre was changed with the Grand Lodge of New Zealand holding the majority shares. Minor shareholding is still maintained by the original Lodges that remain in existence.
The Canterbury Freemasons Centre Board
The Board is appointed by the Grand Lodge of New Zealand to administer the centre for the Lodges meeting at this venue. Current Board members are:
- Graham Wrigley – Chairman
- Frans van Zoggel
- Alan McGill
- Steve Kelsen
The Lodges meeting at the Canterbury Freemasons Centre
Please visit the Calendar page to see meeting dates and activities.
Pacific Lodge of Hokitika No 1229 EC
The Conyers Lodge No 1916 EC
- Shirley Royal Arch Chapter No 86
- Albert Edward Royal Arch Chapter No 6
- Canterbury Royal Arch Chapter No 1048 EC
- Excelsior Rose Croix No 78
- Collett & Beckett